Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Kicks on Route 66

6/19/11 5:05pm

Just finished watching the USA-Jamaica game in the quarterfinal round of the Gold Cup. It was a good way to end a pretty good weekend. To start I'm getting over my altitude sickness.By that I mean I have summoned the wherewithal to increase my red blood cells count. The universe has demanded more of me. Obviously.  Or maybe its just that drinking close to three gallons of water and sleeping for 12 hours will make anyone feel better. Either way I don't feel like I'm going to die anymore so that's cool.
        On Saturday I went out for the first time in Albuquerque and I had a really good time. It isn't easy trying to join a group of people who all already know each other but my solid gold personality seemed to win them over. Ok, actually they were just very nice to me. Maybe we should stop calling it southern hospitality and just call it non-yankee hospitality. Never mind, bad idea. That ones our's. I met some very interesting people including a mother of two going back to school for another degree who seemed more than capable of keeping up with the group of college kids that surrounded her. I also met a waitress who lives next to what is called the "War Zone" here, a former soldier who was stationed in Alaska of all places and a twenty two year old punk show promoter. This is why I love traveling. You meet the most interesting people. Side note: the minor league baseball team here is called the Isotopes. This is a reference to a Simpsons episode where the owners of the team plan to move the team to Albuquerque but are foiled by Homer staging a hunger strike after he uncovers the plan by noticing the "bold Southwestern flavor" of their hotdogs. Also, the wrapper said Albuquerque on the side.
        I met these lovely people at a bar atop a hotel next to I-25 here in town on the old Route 66. Given how far you can see here it looks like the city is 50 miles across. It isn't but it looks that way. By the way, pay no attention to the time listed on the picture. It doesn't stay light till 2:00am here.

        Anyways, back to the game. What I saw was almost unthinkable after seeing the previous games this tournament: the US put together a fairly complete game. Scored twice in the second half and was able to close out the game at the end. Not bad considering we had our number one striker hurt in the 11th minute and our best player didn't come on till the 67th. But the best part were the lovely young men that were watching the game with me. By lovely young men of course I mean raging tools that used the term "wicked" liberally. They all dressed like they were working a merch tent at the X-Games. Skater hats and hipster shirts abounded. They also tried to correct me on whether one play was a foul or not. The next play they all, simultaneously, mis-quoted the off-sides rule. I corrected them, stood up, yelled "BACK OFF ME SON!", threw my beer at them and walked out triumphant. Actually I politely corrected them and asked them where they were from. No need to make enemies. What if one day I want to work merch at the X-Games?
       By the way, when did golf become popular among this sort? It makes no sense. If you say something like "gnarly divot" or "cabbage EVERYWHERE dude" then I have no respect for your sport any more. Is this where the youth of America have gone? And will X-treme putting be an event at the next X-Games? Only Urban Outfitters knows for sure.

Ok, later people
Madison

No comments:

Post a Comment