Monday, June 13, 2011

I'm Gonna be Sick

6/11/2011 8:40pm

I just got through watching the USA-Panamagame in the Gold Cup. For those who don't know, I am in no mood to go any into further explanations other than to say that Panama is a team we should always beat. As I'm sure you can gather from my text so far, we did not win. Let me tell you the story.
        It all started this morning when I got ready, took a shower and drove to a coffee shop near where I am staying. I say near in the loosest terms but it was the closest shop. I got my coffee and sat down to partake in the one product they had that wasn't on the menu: free internet access. From there I looked on Google to find the closest sports bar. Again, close is a relative term here. I fumbled through the listing looking up numbers and calling venues all in a vain attempt to find a place that would let me watch the only sport on I currently care about. No luck. There is apparently a UFC fight on tonight that takes precedent, mildly repressed, homoerotic precedent. Sorry, I'm in a bad mood. Anyways, so after a little while I call a very kind woman named Sandi who I was told could help me get acclimated to to New Mexico. As expected, she delivered and directed me to a place called Kelly's Brewery which was about 20 miles away from where I am staying. So I go, fight the traffic and construction and find a parking place. I dock the boat and go in. As usual there is a large crowd there to watch the game (3 people including me). After what seemed like an eternity, the rocket scientist that was working the TV and serving the drinks finally landed on the station (we told her the name of the program and the station. She passed it twice.)
        From here the events can easily be sorted into good, ok, and bad. Good: food, beer. This is a brewery after all and the Rueben was pretty good. Ok: conversation with the one guy I met there. His name was Tosh and he was very entertaining. He was born in Tibet, adopted in Indiana by an American family and lived everywhere the runs shines. After he did that he decided to come to watch the game. Bad: entire US soccer team. Gave up two goals in the first half including one in the 19th minute that was competely avoidable. Jozy Altidore, after having such a great game against Canada, released his man and allowed him to come flying in on the wing to lay a ball down right in front of the goal. Not to say that there isn't plenty of blame to go around. Howard should have smothered the ball and someone should have gotten back to the line to try and clear the ball. Couple that with some very bad refereeing and a team that couldn't finish and didn't care and you have the first US loss in the Gold Cup group stage (round-robin for all the non-soccer people here). Bad day. On the plus side I did get to see a little of downtown Albuquerque. I'm currently in the University part of the city which always tends to be the most interesting part of a city. The style here is pretty cool. It's a nice mix of the 50's Americana and southwestern. You know, stylized, brightly-colored rockets ships and adobe architecture. But on this side of town its clearly more Americana. The old Route 66 style is alive here probably because I think I'm actually on the old Route 66, complete its over stylized gas stations and tourist traps. But none of that matters cause I'm pissed and have no where to go. Aww screw it. I'll go home. Tomorrow will be better. Sandi said she'd call me and help me find something to do. If she does then you'll no doubt here about it. Alright, till then boys and girl.

Later

Madison

1 comment:

  1. Keep on blogging! I added you to my blog roll...so maybe my like two maybe three readers will possibly check you out. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete